On Wednesday one of the ladies at Sewing Club brought in some magazines and in one of them was a pattern for a bag-in-a-bag, with a functioning pocket. It’s a fairly simple project.
- Make a basic shopping bag
- For the pocket, cut two pieces of fabric 8 inch x 6 inch.
- Right sides together sew all round except for a small gap in one of the long sides. Pull through the gap and sew the hole up.
- Centre on the bag and sew round three sides.
- For the flap, cut two pieces of fabric 3 inch x 8 inch. Sew together, right sides together, as with the pocket body.
- Sew a piece of elastic or a bobble on at the bottom edge.
- Sew in place over the pocket
- Next take two buttons, one for each side of the pocket. Sew them on to the pocket.
I actually put corners on this bag so that it has a bottom, first time ever. I think the bag has a wonky bottom. The material is a pillow case, I think, and quite heavy cotton. The handles were the most irritating part, but I think I’ve worked out how to make them now; the sewing machine certainly makes it a lot easier.
The reason I decided to give this a go is that at the last craft fair I did I was asked if we had any bags like these by a couple of people, so I think there might be a market for them.Plus they are quite useful.